Fireworks exploding on the night sky is a majestic sight. These explosives look stunning but they are still just that, explosives. In order to enjoy them, you want to keep in mind the safety rules and follow instructions. But could something go wrong? Can fireworks explode without being lit?
How do fireworks work?
Fireworks come in different types from rockets to wheels. No matter what the type, each firework will have a fuse, which is the main part of the firework in terms of the ignition. The firework fuse has the charge part that burns and ignites, while the effects are stored in smaller fuses that explode later in the air.
When you are using the firework, you ignite the main fuse with a match and you get a small burn until the firework is shot either into the air or it starts creating effects on the ground. In professional fireworks displays, there isn’t often any manual lighting it up, as it all happens with electrical contacts. This means an electrical current will flow along a wire into the fusehead and ignite the fireworks as designed.
In terms of the chemicals, fireworks are filled with different metals that create the colours and the sounds. Potassium nitrate is the key ingredient behind propelling the firework up into the air and to create that explosive effect.
Can fireworks explode by accident?
So, with all that in mind, could you accidentally light a firework? The most important thing to note is that all consumer fireworks will need to be ignited for the explosion to happen. This means that fireworks cannot simply detonate. The firework will not go off in extreme heat because it must always have an ignition source to be exposed to the fuse.
In essence, the only way a firework can go off is if the fuse comes into direct contact with a source of ignition, such as a flame. Therefore, if you store and handle your fireworks according to the instructions, you won’t have to worry about a sudden explosion.
How to stay safe when using fireworks
To ensure your firework doesn’t accidentally ignite, you have to follow the safety regulations when handling and using fireworks. When you store your fireworks, you want to ensure they are kept dry and away from any materials that could ignite. This means keeping them away from things like petrol, gasses and matches. You also have to ensure a child cannot get their hands on fireworks. The best option would be to store them in a garage or a shed, away from flammable materials and protected from the elements.
When lighting your fireworks, you should use a professional lighter that comes with a longer range. It’s important to ignite the firework and to allow the fuse to burn without interruption. If your firework doesn’t explode for some reason, do not try to reignite. Simply expose the fuse to water to ensure it is off and contact the firework retailer to return the faulty product.
Fireworks are vigorously tested and you can use them safely as long as you follow the rules. If you do, you can enjoy the explosions and celebrate the bright colours and awesome effects with your friends and family!